Saturday, March 25, 2006

Self-denial and Lent


I have never "given something up for Lent." Are you shocked?

There is much reference to it among theological students. On the other hand, the (admittedly small) discussion group at my church could ultimately not endorse it - and I wasn't trying to persuade them. We could see a long tradition of it - most obviously of course the ritual of Pancake Day. We could agree that for some people it was important and presumably enriching. We just couldn't see what it was.

If the meaning is "to share Jesus' suffering/temptation" or something similar, then I don't see it. For one thing, giving up (say) chocolate is not comparable with 40 days in the desert and to say it is would be arrogant. In any case, why? The message of Jesus' work for me is that suffering was done by Him so that we don't have to. Lent is a time for mature reflection and consciousness of your own sin, but not for making yourself needlessly miserable.

If the meaning is to live simply, then I can see that - but that is for all year round, surely. Likewise for giving up bad habits; Lent could be a time to start, but not more so than New Year. And they should be given up permanently if you mean it. I once gave up alcohol indefinitely, as a witness to others that it wasn't necessary to get drunk to enjoy yourself. It lasted around eighteen months. The reason I started again was I wanted a pint in the pub and lemonade just wasn't doing it. But it wasn't to do with Lent.

So if someone can explain why they deny themselves in Lent and how it enhances their spirituality I would be pleased to hear it.

No comments: