Sunday, April 30, 2006

Funny you should say that


I think we've lost the ideas of Kierkegaard in modern (post-modern?) thinking. If you're thinking "Who's he?" you probably agree.

I won't post a link, as there are far too many sites for me to evaluate and suggest a best; suffice it to say that if you type his name into Google you'll get plenty of choices.

Nor do I claim to understand him or his philosophy. But I do know that in his eyes, we get to enlightenment (if that's the word and it may not be) by three steps, the last two of which are humour and irony. Which I can go with.

Steph got a bit startled when I laughed out loud, and had difficulty stopping, in Pauline's prayers last Thursday. But the picture of heaven portrayed was so startling and yet insightful that I couldn't help myself.

Also life seems full of little ironies (and not the stuff that woman sings about) at the moment. That I'm finally studying Methodist spirituality just too late for it to help my tutoring. That for all my reluctant (and that's the ironic bit) agreements to put jobs down, I'm prevailed upon to keep some going. That answered prayer still takes a bit of work - but somebody else might do it just when you've decided you must. That the roleplaying group is ready for me to take over again when this time last year I had the time and creativity to really put something into it and now the time fills up no problem and the creativity is heavily invested elsewhere. And lots of other little ones that you had to be there to understand.

So, my lecturers and course leaders, watch out. I'm going to give some of it back. Socrates is about to be reborn. Naive questioning is back in vogue. And as Caroline said last Wednesday, it gets straight to the point.

No comments: