Thursday, April 27, 2006

Heaven's Gate


The cartoon is courtesy of Pauline who provided us with pictures of heaven to meditate on at lunchtime. I picked it because I thought it was funny.

And then I wondered if it would be funny to everyone.

I wondered if there are people who do think you need to have a "username" and "know the password" - and although they "know" theirs, that these are restricted so that only some people will be able to enter ("the elect"?) - that there are only a certain number of places, maybe? And maybe there are others seeking to enter who think the same thing - only they worry that they don't know theirs and so they think they won't get in? And that they don't know how to find out the "instructions"?

And the consequences for both these groups and their theology and behaviour could be serious?

And suddenly the cartoon wasn't so funny to me either.

No comments: