Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Old dog, new tunes

We sang "There is a green hill far away" to tune "House of the Rising Sun" on Sunday, and the feedback was good. So it's not a new idea. We sing "I cannot tell why He, whom angels worship" to "Danny Boy" and the "but this I know .. " bit is inspirational.

Charles Wesley wrote words to the popular tunes of the day. I know it was done again in the 60s although it petered out. Can we revive it?

Suggest some tunes of today that are singable. (As an official grumpy old man I know there are no tunes in the pop charts, although I'm told the Sugababes might be an exception.) The more well-known the better.

Suggest some words that might go with said tunes.

Write some new words to go with said tunes. (Proviso: I hope these will be better than the stuff the adverts come up with.)

And is it possible that we can have some more variations, like Gareth's boogie version of "Be thou my vision"?

No comments: