Thursday, November 30, 2006

My Day in Court

... was a bit frustrating, though educational. Actually, it was only a morning.

I can't say anything about the case which was the reason for my attending, or why I didn't get to see any of it, or why it was only a morning. But some things can be said.

If the mills of God grind exceeding slow, then the courts of the UK can, on occasion, run them close.
This is not due to a lack of professionalism on the part of the court staff. In fact, it is in large part their professionalism, and their concern for interests of justice, which causes the slowness. And I can't explain that without referring to the case. In fact all the staff seem very professional, efficient and creative. Goodness knows what the courts would be like without that.

And I did see part of a case which had run very fast.

And maybe I'll get to find out the result of the case at some point in the future. I hope so, as it is an important case.

Oh yes, it was a Magistrate's Court.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, there is something slow and country tea like about British justice, which although frustrating is a belt and braces approaches not shared in other parts of the world.