Friday, December 15, 2006

Eleven To Go

If I hadn't been away/forgotten/otherwise occcupied/moved around I could easily have had my gold card for 50 blood donations by now, but as it is I got to 39 today so in just under four years I should be there.

I told them about the two of us being ill and the doctor said it was fine so long as it was enough days and we are both well now. In fact they were impressed both with the quality (the finger sample went straight to the bottom of the tube) and speed of delivery (it's all in the right arm, you know) and the fact that I agreed to help them get off earlier by coming 15 minutes earlier than I had booked, so today was a great success all round. In and out in 30 minutes including the cup of tea and not a needle in sight.

In turn the staff are friendly and cheerful even at nearly seven on a dark cold Friday evening, with time for a joke and a chat. They really are a treasure. They are now being asked to work on Boxing Day. Well I can see the point and all that but I wonder how many people are going to think of going out to donate then.

God bless all those who work hard on this important demanding service.

No comments: