Sunday, January 28, 2007

Bringing Up Baby

I have been quite distressed lately about the row over Catholic adoption agencies, especially since the Church of England joined in. However, I have been distressed for the opposite reason to what some people assumed.

I'll break my thoughts into a few statements.

1. I cannot accept that homosexual couples do not how to bring up children properly ie lovingly. (One of the News Quiz panellists joked that he had a gay dad - well not really but that his dad listened. Another said he wished he had had a gay dad because he liked musicals and then he would have been taken to more of them.)

2. I have been told that it is hard enough as it is for homosexual couples to adopt - given the choice between gay and straight the current position is that straight wins every time. So discrimination already exists?

3. Adoption is still done everywhere by Social Services - at least it better be - they are trained. What the agencies can do is recommend couples. So it is part of the process, but only part. This job could be taken over by other less prejudiced organisations.

4. Even if you believe homosexuality is a sin, whatever happened to "love the sinner"? Discrimination is not love in my opinion. The Gospel is surely about love. It is not about putting up barriers to people's happiness and well-being.

Therefore it seems to me that if some agencies cannot comply with the law on equality then they are indeed in the wrong game. They should disband immediately and go away to pray. For forgiveness, to start with.

1 comment:

Rev Paul Martin said...

I very much agree with your posting. There is something disturbing about the Gospel being used to defend discrimination.

Paul