Sunday, January 14, 2007

Mind Your language

We're back to this again - yes it's liturgy. Don't switch off just yet.

I was going to put this as a comment on this post on Richard's blog but the server or something crashed just before it went - and it was a bit long anyway - and the time's gone by a bit, so it's going to be here now.

It's the Covenant service. This is a very important service, which I value and hate to miss. In fact I've been to two this week, but that's another story.

This time it's not me complaining about liturgy, it's someone else, (actually another Richard).

Richard is a young man, brought up in the faith, and a devout believer. He came up to me after the service last Sunday and tore into the liturgy. When was it last revised? Out-of-date, old-fashioned words, that are not the vocabulary of today. That what should be a joyful act of commitment is ruined. I sent him off to talk to Stuart, as I have no answers (the best I could do is "well it's not as bad as it used to be") and in fact can't disagree with him. So here is my attempt to convey his frustration.

Consider the following language (some of these are Richard's examples, some mine, as I can't remember his exact objections):

"Folly". When did you last use that word?
"Beloved in Christ". Per-lease. To be fair, Stuart didn't use that version (Jonathan did).
"In the fullness of time". It does have meaning, but surely can be updated.
"Yoke". I am not a farmer. What is a yoke? (J, not S)

We used version A of the dedication on Sunday, which is not too bad; consider version B from Wednesday:
" .. put me to suffering .." Now there's a use of the word "suffering" which hasn't existed since the 17th Century.
"Rank me with whom you will .." Not a modern turn of phrase.
" .. let me be empty .." Huh?

and even version A "may the covenant .. be fulfilled in heaven". I do at least understand "ratified" in version B, but it's still difficult.

Anyway, don't tell me I'll grow into it. Tell Richard. Tell him why he needs to. (He wants to.)

For the one time a year we do this, (two is unusual, more is absurd) let's make it accessible to those who want to affirm their faith.

No comments: