Friday, April 20, 2007

It's Oh So Quiet

Come on, you didn't really think so, did you?

If I appear to have been quiet recently, you haven't been in my car. I was suddenly struck by the number of magazines there are now for metalheads. There used to be just Kerrang! and Metal Hammer, but now there's Terrorizer, Powerplay, er, Rock Sound and there's even some coverage in Classic Rock, and I think I've missed one even so. This is a whole subculture. And I want to explore and see what I like.

So I've been playing the free CDs you get from these mags in my car. Loud. Including Norwegian and Finnish, thrashpunk, sleaze, metalcore, emo, stoner, sub-genres and sub-sub-genres, from guys who stand around a lot wearing black and looking broody, and not a few who look like they need a hot meal and a bath (that's the girls).

There used to be Anthrax and Slayer but they're a bit touchy-feely these days.

Alexisonfire, Dimmu Borgir, Dark Tranquility, Dead Man in Reno, Wednesday 13, The Poodles (er how did they get in?), Draconian, - you get the idea.

Now some of it (well quite a lot of it, actually) still sounds like screaming over noise, but there's quite a lot of decent stuff.

Anyway the results should be coming to a CD near you soon.

No comments: