Friday, March 17, 2006

Can't we just agree to disagree and get on with being one?

Today's homework was writing up my notes on the Anglican-Methodist talks between 1955 and 1972. This gives me a title which seems to have synergy with yesterday's title. That's the excuse anyway.

After it was all over, ie the mid-seventies, I guess everyone felt thoroughly exhausted and demoralised. All that work for no progress whatsoever. And the attempts since didn't go anywhere either.

No-one should be surprised. Two structures with long and proud histories (some of it in adversity) trying to join together. You might as well try to merge the Robins and the Gasheads. Doesn't stop people suggesting it though.

Actually I think at this remove that considerable progress was made. The fact that talks took place at all was progress. The realisation on both sides that you can't always get what you want is a lesson. Unrealistic hopes, demands and expectations are junked (mostly). This gives you freedom to move on. And the 20th Century saw ecumenism accelerate at a rate unbelievable to Victorians and earlier. We have joint services, visiting preachers from other denominations, ecumenical parishes, joint training (he said modestly) and so on. Are we united? Nowhere near.

The lecturer on Thursday told us how the Methodist movement post-Wesley split, split and split again. Over practical details, over theological understanding and over sheer bloody-mindedness.
Even now not all the splits have re-united. But all worship God, in ways that suit them.

So the answer to the title question is history, culture, human frailty and you can add your own. Am I dispirited? Sometimes. Am I exasperated? Frequently. Am I encouraged? Now and again. Am I amused? A bit. Am I carrying on? Oh yes.

No comments: