Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Health Warning

Browsing idly through the newsagent's I discovered my new magazine has a competitor. Really! It is called Kindred Spirit. However I will not be switching allegiance.

KS only comes out bi-monthly and the Jan/Feb 2007 issue is not out yet. How am I going to plan for January without a horoscope? In any case, the horoscopes in KS are not nearly as detailed. One paragraph to cover two months? Come on. (I haven't checked whether they're accurate.)

Then it has some very strange disturbing stuff. There is an article (this is all from a quick skim, you understand, I haven't bought it) about pentagrams which I had to quickly put down when I came to the words MATHEMATICS and PYTHAGORAS. Yes, really. I nearly fainted, I can tell you. Are their readers, if they have any, still at school? Does anyone else need to read this?

Then there's even stranger stuff about some "scientists" who believe the universe is full of something called "Dark Matter" which you can't see (it's dark, geddit?) but "solves all the scientific problems about what's out there". Or something. Believable? As if. There's a mention of the Big Bang too, but nothing about Gaia at all.

There might be some interest in the article about Sufism, but I'm not buying it just for that. And there's some stuff on Mayan healing (didn't help them, did it?).

I didn't check out the letters page - I suppose they must have readers. However, I have heard that some magazines invent the letters they'd like to receive ....

But crucially, .... no spells. No wicca. Not a sniff of a candle or a ritual. What good is that then? Self-help only takes you so far .... what we need is the supernatural. Magick, if you like.

You can make your own mind up but I know what I prefer to read.

No comments: